Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The best job I ever had ...


There are many perks when you are a 'grandma' ... the obvious, of course, is the well known adage "you get to spoil them, then send them home." More than once I've remarked "If I'd known how much fun grandchildren were, I would have had them first!" My favorite perk is the 'unconditional love' ... which encompasses hugs, kisses, holding of hands, wanting only 'grandma' to bathe/read/watch/sit or play. Another is the enormous bragging rights ... the retelling of every little accomplishment ... endless photos ... the "I can top that ..." with other grandmas. There is also a 'given' ... "If Momma Says No, Ask Grandma" ... yes, these are great perks indeed, but it's the "IGs" (Internal Giggles) that are priceless. They are not the same as "I told you so" or "the shoulds and oughts" or the biggie "I can't wait for you to have children ... THEN you'll know what I'm talking about!!!" The following is but one small example of the IGs:


My daughter and I are on the telephone with each other (long distance ... but then we live in Texas, so long distance has a different meaning than most places) Little Someone is fully aware that Momma is on the telephone and escapes from the living room where she had been in plain sight of her momma. Momma calls out " Little Someone ... where are you?" no answer ... her voice up one octave "LS ... where ARE you?" I do not hear the reply ... only a slow sigh from Momma as she calls out "WHERE is here??? Then I listen as Momma tells LS she mustn't get up on the bed ... "WHY?" ... "BECAUSE ....yada yada." ... "WHY?" Little Someone returns to her play area ... Momma attempts to continue her conversation, while trying to remember what she was saying earlier ... and Grandma delights in a hearty "Internal Giggle". Okay, maybe you had to be there to appreciate this scenario or perhaps you must be a grandma first ... either way ... it's the best job I ever had!!!

2 comments:

Bz said...

Whoo-hoo! ...I NOW have a whopping THREE "followers". Whatever you did, worked.
*
Oh, and ...I guess... you're welcome, for being the source of any IG.
:-)

Libby's Library said...

I often wish that I had more patience as a mother, but I guess it comes with age...and the fact that I can send my grand children home to their parents!!!