Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This one is for the "Girls"




Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make my friends fat!!

I belong to a very special class ... I am one of those " 55 and Better year old" Women! I treasure my group of 'girl friends' ... my 'sisters' in support hose ... my comrades in capri pants ... my cronies with cellulite ... my compagnon de voyage (A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!")

The Duck has a theory about why women tend to outlive men ... he says it's because women usually have a 'network' of support (aka "girlfriends.") an emotional life line that men do not enjoy. Women form bonds with each other , they 'do lunch', they email 'forwards' when they don't have time to write, they call to check on each other, they send funny little cards to let you know they are thinking of you, they go to 'chick flicks' together, they take "girls gone wild" road trips to Colorado, they share painful memories of growing up, they cry with each other and they laugh until their sides ache (or they have to change their undies!) they 'defend' each other, prop up each other, support each other and even if they are not able to be together often, they continue to love each other.

I prefer to be around women who are positive ... not some one that brings you down. There is enough sadness in this world, I don't need to dwell in that place. Perhaps this is a 'Polly-Anna' attitude ... so be it. My friends ... my really close friends ... tend to be more up-beat, laughter is a huge component in our little 'circle.' Yet, when something is serious ... if there is an illness or some difficulty, we feel safe with each other to reach out for help, be it an 'ear' to let us vent or a shoulder to lean on. I had THREE rotator cuff surgeries within six months last year. My arm was in a sling for what seemed like 'forty-forevers.' (it was my right shoulder and, of course, I'm right handed!) My friends brought food, flowers, movies, they offered to clean the house, to help me shower and shampoo ... but more importantly, they offered their time ... themselves. That is priceless.

I recently had a birthday luncheon for a dear friend at my home. There were five of us ... the table was set with fine linen, crystal, china, the 'good' sterling and fresh flowers. Everyone enjoyed several different, delicious salads, yummy breads, Mimosas, wine and we finished off the celebration with not only the birthday girl's favorite Key Lime Pie but her chocolate 'fix' of Frosted Brownies. The Duck made himself scarce for several hours after lamenting that it seemed like a lot of trouble for a "lunch." I explained that it was not just a 'lunch' ... it was a 'Luncheon.' Everyone at that table has in fact done the same thing for the rest of us. Yes, it was special ... it took some effort, but you do things like that for your friends. On that day, we did not discuss the current economy crisis, although one friend's husband is getting his 'pink slip' soon, we did not find a cure for cancer, although one dear friend has chronic leukemia, we did not talk about the heartbreaking effects of Alzheimer's disease, although one friend's husband will need to be placed in a safer environment very soon, we did not fret about our grandchildren, although my thoughts were never far from thinking of my daughter's pregnancy. So what did we talk about ... what did we do ... I do not remember specifics ... I remember only that we laughed and joked and reveled in the delicious foods and the very special company of each dear friend.

1 comment:

Bz said...

I'm glad you had fun.