Monday, May 30, 2011

I Saw God Today ...

 Sunday morning around 11:00 AM, The Duck was spraying for bugs on the south side of the house.  He almost stepped on what he thought at first was a coiled 'snake in the grass.'  The 'snake' was a newborn fawn, perhaps only an hour or so  old as it was still wet.  Apparently the 'bug exterminator' had startled the doe shortly after she gave birth.  What was so amazing, though, the fawn instinctively knew not to move, not even it's eyes ... I thought it might be dead ... or dying.  We left 'Bambi' in the shaded grassy area without touching it (although Grandma was sorely tempted!!)  I took my 'look-out' position at the dining room window inside ... complete with telephone, a cup of coffee and my i-Pad.  I fretted as the little thing just laid there ... Momma did not seem to be coming back. From my perch, I saw the little tail flicker and I finally could see shallow breathing ... I was convinced the little creature was going to die!  Fifty extremely long minutes later I saw the fawn's ears stand up, then the head and a tiny little miracle rose up and wobbled down towards our 'native' backyard.  I ran to the breakfast windows and saw Momma standing in the shade below our rock wall. 'Bambi' began nursing immediately and Momma finished her grooming tasks. Momma and Bambi walked carefully back down the draw behind us, sometimes it looked like the doe had 8 legs with the fawn walking under her. Just one of God's little miracles ....


                                   

2 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Omigosh! Isn't it the sweetest little thing! I'm so glad mama came back, but then again... I figured she would. ;) And it gave you the chance to take photo's, now didn't it? ;)

Bz said...

Wow... looks like dad was right up on it. Well, momma picked a god place; nice soft grass with good reliable eats -corn!