Thursday, August 4, 2011

In Pretty Good Shape .... for the shape I'm In!!!

I'm 'turning' 65 this September ... yes, I know ... it's just a number,  right???  Since January my mail has consisted of  almost daily "Medicare Benefits" or supplemental insurances offers.  One day along with the usual junk mail, there was a burial/cremation service offered!  Gee, thanks!!!  Soooo, I've made it to 65 years of age (technically not for 55 more days)  Isn't it interesting how we phrase such events?  When we're young, it's "I'm almost 5" or I'm "10 and a HALF!!!"  I happen to prefer 65 as speed limit!!! But frankly, given a choice, I would never go back to being 'young' again ...  being a 'mature' woman has many benefits ... and I'm not talking about Medicare!!!

Most days I feel like I'm 45 years old  ... gone, but not forgotten are the days when I felt like I was 25!!!  Due to the drought and heat we are experiencing in Texas (19 days in a row of triple digit temperatures, should be a 'warm' 106 degrees today ... and still no mention of rain!!!) I have been dragging around like I'm 85!!!

I am overweight (that's another one of those words!) I've stopped walking outside for exercise due to the heat.  I attend Silver Sneakers a few times a week ... when I'm in town.  I have limited use of my right arm (three surgeries on the rotator cuff will do that!)  This past June, I drove to and from our cabin in Colorado with three of my friends. (I was the baby of the group!)  The oldest was 81 years young ... and we didn't sit around in rockers and talk about our surgeries or aches and pains!!!

I love a quote attributed to Satchel Paige - "growin' old is a case of Mind over Matter ... if you don't MIND, it don't MATTER!"  Perhaps that's the 'secret' to remaining young (at least in your heart)  .... exercise, stay busy,  surround yourself with friends (preferably older ones!) .... and lie about your age!!!

 Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies. Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart. When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over.

P. S.  
 
Our rain gauge ... it's a DIET Dr Pepper bottle lid ... not beer ... darn it!!!!  

3 comments:

Bz said...

DIET Dr Pepper?!?!? ..no wayyyy .....make it the real thing! And I don't mean Coke... REAL Dr. Pepper. After all, real sugar is better than fake.
AND ... "the shape" you're in?? (to the Dory fish theme...) Just keep moving, just keep moving ...laa laaaa laaa la la laaa.
LYM

Tatersmama said...

Oh Lordy girl... but I've missed you!
And I'm with Bz. Go for the REAL THING! I drank my weight in Dr Pepper when we were 'home' and none of that airy fairy "diet" stuff for me either. Check it out... the name has "DIEt" in it... and therefore I'll abstain.
So if you come visit me in California, just be warned that with 2 cases of the REAL THING currently in the fridge at home, you're going to be outta luck! And if I come to your house... well dammit, I'll just bring my own. ;)
xoxoxo!

Tatersmama said...

OH! And Happy Birthday, darlin'!!!
(don't ask me to do the math - that I'm in an upright position is enough to ask! ;)