Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the end ....



The television drama, E. R., ended it's incredible 15 year run last Thursday, April 2nd. I confess I was/am a loyal follower of this medical 'drama' (the Duck always refers to it as a "soap opera") I know that's what it really is ... being in the medical field (albeit as a 'retired' nurse) I always enjoyed watching the show. I did a very short stint in a real emergency room (not short enough for my liking, but that's another post, another day!) It should come as no surprise to anyone that the show was always 'over the top' with all the high jinks ... and that's not even mentioning the 'soap opera' stuff with the characters. That said ... I still loved the show! (and I blame 'Louise' for getting me started on Grey's Anatomy!) ANYway ... I recorded the show (oh, crikey ... how I LOVE our DVR!!!) and took my time last evening watching the end of the series.

I enjoyed most of the two hour finale ... some parts were very predictable, others very contrived. Throughout the 15 years, many issues have been addressed .. Murder, Incest, Addictions, AIDS, Child Abuse, Domestic Abuse, Homosexuality ... the list was long. Death and dying were always present in the emergency room. So, of course, there was death in the last show ... a young mother of three, who had just given birth to twins ... an elderly woman with a chronic disease, who's grieving husband was at her bedside. I cried ... I always cry ... do you remember those Hallmark commercials? ...Wow, two Kleenex minimum! I cried and I laughed ... I scoffed and nodded in agreement ... but it was in a very short, subtle, scene that I saw the most tender of acts that touched my heart. The scene was just what I needed to see as this program ended. It was between two of the 'newer' characters ... Tony (an ER doctor) and Samantha (a nurse) both had lengthy stories of their own ... and had been together at one time. The two watched through a window of one of the rooms, as the husband of the elderly woman, cradles his companion of so many years and weeps. Sam gently places her hand in Tony's hand and he closes his hand around her's. That's all that happens ... and that was everything for me.
... That touching of hands ... holding onto another's hand ... that gave me hope and reassurance everything happens for a reason, I may never know the reason, but everything will be okay. (you do know ... I'm not thinking about the show here) We need each other ... we need to feel safe ... in the end we need to have a hand to hold.


2 comments:

Bz said...

I so hope everything happens for a reason... if it does, that would give so much more meaning to those things... those doggone things that we don't like happening.
Good post!

Fruitcake Sandy said...

Thank you ... I HAVE to believe that everything happens for a reason. I have FAITH ... I have no doubt there is a far better place that awaits us. ~ Mom/Grandma

The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste the experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments. ~ Rose Kennedy

But my favorite saying is from Terry Tempest Williams ~

Faith is the centerpiece of a connected life. It allows us to live by the grace of invisible strands. It is a belief in a wisdom superior to our own.