Saturday, November 13, 2010

Calmness in Our Lives ....

Disclaimer: The following account is painfully true ... proper names have not been used to protect ... uh, myself!!! And most importantly ... it must be said that I love 'Pops' ... I really do ... in spite of his numerous quirks, adolescent antics, dorky walk and perennial grumpy demeanor !!!

My 86 year old step-father, Pops, and his 78 year old 'lady' friend came to visit recently. The timing was not the best ... but hey, when you are 86 years old, you don't put things off. I had just spent three days with two 'Industrial Strength Energy Zappers' (aka grandchildren!) The Duck and I are still going through some very stressful and frustrating real estate issues. It was necessary to back out on the contract of the townhouse we so wanted due to several structural problems. I'm still doing physical therapy on my shoulder as a result of surgery four months ago. Soooo .... all this was the setting for the 'VISIT' ... from Hell????

Pops and Miss W arrived around 4:00 PM last Wednesday ... they had had lunch with her sister and brother-in-law earlier in the day. We visited for a couple of hours, moved all their things into the guest bedroom and had a delicious homemade dinner complete with Key Lime Pie. We spent an hour or so playing 'Mexican Train' (dominoes ... for those who are unaware of this fun game) after dinner and headed off to bed rather early for us ... but much needed!

At 11:00 PM I was awakened by Pops shouting at our bedroom door ... "come help me, quick"
... THAT did not sound good!!! And it wasn't ... Miss W was lying on the bathroom floor unresponsive! For reasons that will become obvious, I have chosen not to describe the following events in 'graphic detail' ... The stench was unbelievable ... you know what they say happens in emergencies (no, not THAT!) ... but, how adrenaline kicks in ... I lifted Miss W up, helping her back on the toilet. She was so weak she had to be held and could not be left alone. I managed to get her in the bathtub ... TWICE! After what seemed to be hours, actually it was only one hour, I was able to get her cleaned up, dressed and back into bed. I, then, started the first of probably ten loads of laundry ... towels, pajamas, sheets, towels and more towels. Oh, and mopped the floor and disinfected the tub, toilet and floor. Okay, I know you've got the picture, no need to 'run on.'

No sooner was Miss W back in bed and things quiet than she started vomiting. More towels, more changing clothes, etc. Running back and forth. Around 3:00 AM Pops asked for help again ... for himself this time! Yup, same symptoms down to the very ... well, anyway, same thing ... both ends ... both of them. It was 9:00 AM the 'next' morning before their symptoms ran their course.

There is so much more I could share ... like the running dialog whether this was a virus or food poisoning ... the sister of Miss W KNEW it wasn't food poisoning from their lunch and I felt just as strongly about our dinner. It should be pointed out that neither Miss W's family nor the Duck or myself have shown any signs of having food poisoning or catching a 'bug' ... THANK GOD !!!!

The two 'patients' slept ALL Thursday, I had each in separate bedrooms (more sheets, of course!) I would wake them up every few hours and force them to drank fluids with electrolytes since the up-chucking had stopped. But Sister P worried that they should be in the hospital with IV fluids. The Duck suggested Sister P come over and check on her sister herself ... which she did at four that afternoon. Miss W heard her sister's voice and staggered out of her bedroom ... weak, but lucid. Miss W ended up going home with her sister for the evening. Pops ate some chicken soup, crackers and more Gator-Ade before going back to bed.

Several times over the next twelve hours I checked on Pops ... he rarely moved during the night, but the walls certainly did as he snored with gusto! Around 9 AM, Friday morning, he emerged from bedroom. The man is incredible, we're talking about an 86 year old dude here ... he actually asked for and ate scrambled eggs with cheese and toast and drank coffee heavily laced with cream! He called Miss W ... who was much feeling better. I guess she was indeed ... she went shopping for several hours with her sister while Pops was sitting here downing Gator-Ade and watching James Bond movies.

Late Friday afternoon, Pops joined Miss W over at her sister's place ... but have no fear there were reminders of their visit!!! Wish I had stock in Lysol products ... I've cleaned everything ... several times! When I talked to Pops last night he was up to his old ... very old ... tricks, jokes and curmudgeon self. I, on the other hand, slept for the first time in 48 hours and am leaving the following 'pearls of wisdom' to my readers so that you may, too, attain calmness in your lives.

I am passing this on to you because it definitely works, and we could all use a little more calmness in our lives. By following simple advice heard on the Dr. Phil show, you too can find inner peace. Dr Phil proclaimed, "The way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started and have never finished."

So, I looked around my house to see all the things I started and hadn't finished, and before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of White Zinfandel, a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, a package of Oreos, the remainder of my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, some Doritos, a box of chocolates, and a half bottle of scotch.

You have no idea how freaking good I feel right now. Pass this on to those whom you think might be in need of inner peace.

No comments: